Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Agony and the Ecstasy of our Computer Age

First the agony: After finally clearing our computer of a trojan 2 weeks ago, a recent Vista update caused our computer to crash numerous times. Panic - call our wonderful IT man, who came and tried to resolve the issue, and then suggested we upgrade to Windows 7, after the problem still wouldn't resolve. Bought and installed the upgrade - still having problems. Our IT man then informed us that the only solution really was probably to format the whole disc drive and do a clean install from the Windows 7 Upgrade (did you know you could do that?!). He copied all 20gb of important files over to a Hard drive, formatted the computer and did a clean install of Windows 7. We also bought the latest Microsoft Office, since we have still been working from a 2002 version and at last we have our computer back, better than ever, but minus $1000!!!

Now for the Ecstasy: Over the years of blogging and networking on all different sites, I have made some really wonderful friends, none of whom I have ever met in person. One in particular, I now count amongst my very dearest friends. She first contacted me about 4 years ago after purchasing one of my artworks from Ebay and asked whether I would do a commission for her and this started the ball rolling for me with commissions. Since then, we have stayed in touch, following each other's blog (she is a very talented artist), and through phones calls and emails. Upon reading of our recent computer problems and challenges with one of our dogs, a 'rescue parcel' arrived in the post last week with goodies to destress both the dogs and me. That parcel came at a time, when I was feeling very stressed and bought me to tears, and my gratitude to her is immeasurable. It is amazing to me that you can have such precious friendships with wonderful people that you have never met in person and they can have such a big impact on your life, and that is the best part about this incredible computer age!!!

4 comments:

Cindy Lane said...

If I lived closer I would've been on the doorstep with a lot more than malteasers!

You are such a "one-of-a-kind" lady Karen, and I wish you nothing but the very best in this life. It sucks when things turn pear shaped (like my bum), and sometimes it can be overwhelming. Working from home, being a mum and wife, it can be tiring and thankless even at the best of times, let alone when sh*t happens. And that's when a box of chocolates is mandatory medicine.

Everything is fleeting though, even disasters, and it's so nice knowing that we're in this crazy art thing together. You are a true inpsiration to me, and I'll never let you forget that!

Unknown said...

You're a darling Cindy - don't know what I'd do without you!!! xx

Anonymous said...

People can be amazing! Glad you have found some good ones!

Amazing art!!! Found your blog from a Flickr group....my husband and I have been pouring through your work....beautiful!

:) LOVE your stuff!!!!

Unknown said...

Just came across your lovely comment. Thank you so much for taking the time to appreciate my art - you have put a huge smile on my face today!!! :))