Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Exploring the art of Pyrography (Wood Burning)

The Patriarch
12x12 inches
Pyrography, Coloured pencil, Inktense pencils, biro and
a touch of white ink on Cradled Birch Ply

Wonderment
8x8 inches
Pyrography, coloured pencil and inktense pencils
on Cradled Birch Ply


As many of you know, I do love exploring new techniques and mediums and my latest experiments involve combining Pyrography (wood burning) with coloured pencils and inktense pencils to try to achieve a realistic look and I do warn you it can be very addictive. I am curious whether people think of pyrography as a from of craft, or a legitimate fine art medium? I feel it can definitely be used to create beautiful works of art that would hold up well against artworks created with any other media.

I have created a speed drawing of the Patriarch for anyone curious in watching the process for doing pyrography and this can be viewed on YouTube and I have also created a 22 page step by step tutorial showing my limited set up and guiding you through the process for creating this artwork. The tutorial is available from my Website

I bought most of my equipment from Sue Walters and anyone looking to explore this form of art should check out her website. She has a huge supply of equipment, kits and books and I also found her extremely helpful when I rang for information.



No comments: