Thursday, October 8, 2009

Commissioned Portrait - Poppy

Poppy
4x6 inches
Coloured pencil on drafting film
Since my last post, the illustration job I was working on has fallen through as the client guided me through some of the sample illustrations she had seen and wanted me to do similar. However, all the illustrations she had seen had been done with a computer illustration program and there is no way I could hope to achieve the same effects with coloured pencil, so we mutually agreed to end the project. As an artist who prefers to work with materials I can use with my hands, it is hard to compete sometimes with the world of technology. Hopefully, there will always be people out there who still love to see a drawing or painting created by hand. At the moment, however the commissions are coming in droves, and I must say I'm enjoying them - The joy and appreciation that comes from the clients makes it all worthwhile!!!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

No doubt there will always be people who appreciate a handcrafted piece of work Karen. This is beautiful Karen, so soft, the lost and found edges are a visual treat, the eyes are really spectacular on the large version))

Unknown said...

Thank you Sam - your thoughtful comments always make my day!!

Barbara A. Freeman said...

You know Karen, all things happen for a reason and perhaps you weren't meant to do that project because there are better things coming your way. You do such beautiful work!

Unknown said...

I totally agree Barbara - I really wasn't disappointed - as we got more into it, I knew the client wanted something I couldn't produce, and at the moment I am enjoying the commissions more. Thank you for your kind words!!!

Debra Keirce said...

You've done Poppy proud!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you Deb!!!

Wes and Rachelle Siegrist said...

Beautiful job on Poppy Karen! Glad to hear the commission "ended" well despite your troubles. Hopefully your next project on the easel will be fun and exciting to put you going back up on the artistic rollercoaster!

Unknown said...

Lovely to hear from you Wes and Rachelle and thank you for your wonderful comments!!!!

Unknown said...

Your work is wonderful.. never give up using those pencils. All the technology in the world will never be like the real thing.
Glad you have many commissions coming your way.

Hugs

Unknown said...

I love Poppy. just so cute and so well done.
Great job. Karen

Unknown said...

Dors you are a darling - thank you so much for your heartwarming comments!!!