Sunday, February 14, 2010

Miniature Commission - The Brothers

The Brothers
2.5 x 3.5 inches
Graphite and black pencil on drafting film

This was one of my more challenging commissions. Not only was it small at 2.5 x 3.5 inches but because the upper bodies were to be included too, it meant the faces had to be very small. This is fine, if you are working on a piece such as A Life Well Spent, where it isn't a commission, and so there is no pressure to create a true likeness. In this size commission, you can't afford to be out be even a fraction of an inch, so I feel like I'm going to bed a little cross eyed tonight. (I still love working tiny though, and always love a challenge!!!!)




11 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Look at all that wonderful detail you've captured on such a small canvas! These two guys are little handsome devils, aren't they? Love that big ol' grin on big brother, and the little one has such soulful eyes! Beautiful work, Karen!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Sherry - I so appreciated you taking the time to study this piece and to leave such thoughtful comments!!!

Artoholic said...

Karen, you've outdone yourself again! Your work is wonderful as always.
I just don't know where on earth you're finding the time - throw some my way, I've got none spare!

Cindy

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness. all that in such a small piece. You are so talented Karen and so patient. Lovely work.

Unknown said...

Thank you for your lovely comment Dors - always appreciated.
Great to hear from you here Cindy - I went through to your blog but can't see how to follow you - I'll find out.

Unknown said...

I have a lovely Sunshine Award for you. You can pick it up at my blog site.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the award Dors - such a lovely surprise!!!! xx

Mona Diane Conner said...

These boys are so sweet, and what an amazing portrait on this scale! Could you borrow it back for a competition (I hope)???

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Mona - I'm going to enter "A Life Well Spent" into our Miniature Art Exhibition which will be the first time I've entered a graphite artwork so I'll be interested to see how it goes.

Mona Diane Conner said...

"A Life Well Spent" is another great mini for competition indeed! Surely a winner.

Unknown said...

Thank you heaps Mona, and you're a sweetie for saying so. At last years exhibition, the judge favoured abstract works, so mine wouldn't have had a chance. I have given up trying to create works that I think might be a winner, because art is so very subjective. These days, I just worry about having enough minis to enter into the exhibition, because I don't get a lot of time to do them.