Thursday, March 14, 2013

Crown Prince

Crown Prince
9x5 inches
Scratch art, inktense pencil and coloured pencil on Ampersand Scratchbord
 
I have always had a bit of a love affair with peacocks and have used them several times in my art, but this time thought I would focus on the detail in their magnificent heads and crest. One of the things I love about scratchboard is that it really allows you to get a sense of the texture and 3D nature of the subject you are working on, which somehow makes the later addition of colour all the more interesting and exciting, almost like painting a sculpture. Many people have asked me to create a tutorial on colouring scratchboard pieces. At this stage, I still feel like I am refining my technique and need to create a few more before I can confidently pass on the way I scratch and colour but if you are interested in a tutorial, then watch this space - it won't be too far away :)

No comments: