Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Promise

The Promise
8x10 inches
Scratch art, inktense pencils, coloured pencils and ink on Ampersand Scratchbord
 
This was one of those pieces that started out with heaps of promise. I couldn't wait to get stuck in and sink my teeth into the textures and colours and due to the complexity of the box, decided to start with that which actually ended up being the easiest part of the entire artwork. It was once the box was completed that the headaches started and this one almost ended up in the scrap heap on numerous occasions. But, I battled through each and every element and what a sense of achievement to finally finish it. It didn't end up quite as I had hoped in my mind's eye (they never do), but I was glad I didn't give in to the temptation to give up.

8 comments:

Mona Diane Conner said...

Karen, what an amazing level of realism you got with this one! I know that feeling too where the most complex-looking part is the easiest part. That happens to me painting with egg tempera medium. Sometimes the hardest part is a large open area, such as a sky. Glad you toughed it out however, it's very beautiful.

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

It is stunning!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Mona and Gail. I so agree with you Mona - it is the larger, more open areas and the smoother areas that really are the trickiest. Navigating around little nooks and crannies is deceptively easy :)

Dors Fine Art said...

Amazing piece. your work just keeps on getting better. This is so beautiful. You are so talented Karen. xx. Happy painting.

Unknown said...

Thank you Dors, you talented lady yourself - I miss seeing your art - I haven't seen you on FB for ages. Are you still drawing? xx

Cindy Lane said...

Karen you just keep on excelling yourself with every new piece! I can just about smell that candle!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Cindy - can you tell I'm having fun!?! You make me smile - most people would say they can smell the rose, but you can smell the candle - don't they smell divine just as they are blown out!!! :)

Cindy Lane said...

Well ever since Jez said "Roses smell like old ladies", none of us can smell roses with a straight face anymore!