Saturday, September 4, 2010

Casanova II

Casanova II
10x14 inches
Acrylics on Canson Mi-Teintes Tex Paper
What a marathon week. This painting took much longer than I had anticipated and what a joy to finally complete it!!! I really wasn't blessed with the patience to work on projects that take longer than a day or two. I remember the first time I painted this peacock a few years ago, that it took me 3 months to complete and I was so over it by the end. But I have a special passion for peacocks and wanted to challenge myself to paint a larger piece.
Apart from that we found our darling pet dog Chelsea (Chinese Crested Powder Puff) dragging her hind legs on Wednesday night and discovered she has slipped a disc in her spine which has left her partially paralysed. Hopefully with anti-inflammatories and by keeping the poor thing caged for the next month or two, her spine will heal and she will get back full mobility. She looks at me with such sad eyes through her cage - I think she feels she is being punished for something and my heart goes out to her. Animals are so much more resilient than people.
With all this and the mother of a dear friend dying suddenly, I know I am sadly behind on my blogging, but hope to catch up in the next few days. Happy Father's day to all the Dad's out there for tomorrow (although I think some of you in the US etc. celebrate Father's day at a different time of year) and will check out all your blogs soon :))

13 comments:

Mona Diane Conner said...

absolutely gorgeous Karen!

So sorry for Chelsea's troubles and condolences for the loss of your friend's mother.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Mona for your kind words!!! :))

Autumn Leaves said...

The peacock is gorgeous, Karen! No sign of impatience with this piece whatsoever. I am so sorry to hear of Chelsea's back problem and I do hope that she will recover completely. Is surgery an option?

Unknown said...

Just beautiful and well worth the time and effort Karen. Love it.
I too love the peacocks.

I hope Chelsea gets well soon. I'm sure she knows how much you love and care for her.
condolences for the loss of your mothers friend.
Hugs

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Sherry and Dors for your kind and thoughtful comments which always mean a lot. Surgery is the only option if Chelsea loses full mobility, but that also costs $6000-$7000, so I am hoping and praying that doesn't become a decision we have to make. She seems to be very gradually improving.

Debra Keirce said...

So sorry for your loss. I hope Chelsea feels better soon.

Your peacock is simply amazing!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Deb xx

Carol Andre' said...

Where to begin. What a week you've had. Poor Chelsea. I know how she feels- I had a herniated disc- it is NO FUN. I hope she improves quickly. Also so sorry about your friend's mom.

Onto better places- your peacock is spectacular- and well worth the time and patience it took. Absolutely gorgeous.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Carol for all your wonderful words. You poor thing - having a herniated disc. I have only put my back out and was bedridden for a few days and that was enough. Back injuries are so debilitating and yet what amazes me is how resilient animals are - Chelsea doesn't complain at all - just accepts her lot, although I know she isn't completely happy!!!

Artoholic said...

Animals always amaze me with their "inner toughnes". Our OCD dog will be manic for the tennis ball to be thrown, even if she's done her leg.

I do hope Chelsea bounces back without the need for surgery. Steroid injections an option (we used this therapy for our old Bo).

And what an amzing painting. I don't think I could even contemplate attempting all those fine feather barbs! What a meditation that must have been!

It's a wonderful result - well done.

Unknown said...

Thank you Cindy - Chelsea seems to be progressing well on the oral steroids, so fingers crossed, she will keep improving day by day - just feel so mean keeping her caged all the time and hope she understands. This is the last time I am painting a peacock, and if I mention doing one, slap me around the head!!!

Barbara A. Freeman said...

I love this one Karen! How fun to do all that jewel-like color!! So sorry about your dog. I'm so glad for her that she will mend and hope it is soon.

Unknown said...

Thank you Barbara - It was a lot of fun doing all the eyes, but the finer fronds on the feathers got a bit tedious - no more peacocks!!!