Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Commissioned Illustration - Bass

Bass
8x10 inches
Coloured pencils on drafting film
Something different this time which took me a little out of my comfort zone, being more used to doing creatures with fur than scales, but I always love to try something new. The client gave me the freedom to work in whichever medium I chose, and whilst I have really enjoyed painting lately, I find nothing beats the coloured pencil on drafting film for finer details. Apart from that, I haven't much to add, and hope everyone is having a wonderful week!!!! :)

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Stunning work Karen. There is a lovely opaque look about it. great colors and a fantastic job.
I am sure your client will be blown away with this. It's awesome.

Unknown said...

You are lovely Dors - the client has actually come back and said the scales aren't quite right - I'm not sure I'm cut out to draw fish, but it was good to give it a go :)

Gary Keimig said...

great job Karen. You need to try a few more of these. I love it.

Barbara A. Freeman said...

I couldn't say if the scales are correct or not, but it looks great to me! Like Dors said, great colors.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Gary and Barbara for your encouraging comments!!! :)

Artoholic said...

Lively composition and great colour Karen! I would not have known any differnt about the scales, but then that's what sets Fanciers apart.

Reminds me of the time I was commissioned to draw an Axolotl (Mexican Walking Fish/Salamder) for print reproduction. What a nightmare as I somehow convinced myself that stippling was the way to go with shading. Cross off many, many MANY hours of my life spent going "dot, dot, dot, dot, dot....."

Unknown said...

OMG - you're always good for a belly laugh Cindy. I can just see you dot, dot, dotting your axolotil - how funny!!! Congrats on your article too, I'm thrilled for you!!! :)

Debra Keirce said...

You are the master of colored pencil on drafting film Karen! This is superb!

Unknown said...

Thank you heaps Deb - I appreciate your lovely comments very much!!! :)

Unknown said...

Thats really impressive Karen)

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Sam!!! :)